Summer 2016 dates are filled! Sign up now for the Fall 2016-Winter 2017 season.
Outreach into the Community
The Zoological Society and Kohl’s Cares have partnered to bring you Kohl’s Wild Theater, which provides conservation-themed theater performances using drama, songs, and puppetry. Performances, which may be scheduled within a one-hour radius of the Milwaukee County Zoo, are free of charge.
Festivals, community events and school assemblies make great venues for Kohl’s Wild Theater performances, which are family-friendly and age-appropriate for grade-school children.
Cameron, played by actor James Carrington, tries to talk to a bonobo named Li'l Dude in Kohl's Wild Theater's original production "The Congo Code." The bonobo puppet is operated by Samantha Sostarich and Marcus Beyer.
- Kohl’s Wild Theater is a completely contained performance group. We provide our own sound equipment and the necessary materials for the show. All we need is a working electrical outlet and stage space of at least 18 by 20 feet.
- Outdoor stage space needs to be covered and have flooring or pavement. We cannot perform on grass or dirt.
- Performances can be booked, free of charge, within a one-hour radius of the Milwaukee County Zoo.
- Performances are typically 30-45 minutes in length with time included for questions from the audience.
- Minimum audience of 100 is suggested for school performances. (Or all-school assembly for schools with fewer than 100 students).
- The actors require approximately one hour before and after the performance for set-up and tear-down
Questions? Review our frequently asked questions (FAQ).
Check out our video to learn more about Kohl’s Wild Theater.
Performance Series for June 2016-May 2017
Click on the links below to view performance descriptions.
- The KWT Jamboree (June 2016-January 2017)
- The Congo Code (October-December 2016)
- A World of Water (October 2016-February 2017)
- Aldo Leopold and the Ghost of Sand County (January-May 2017)
- What We Eat (February–May 2017)
- A Tale of Two Hemispheres (March-May 2017)
If you would like to attend a performance at a festival or public event near you, check out the calendar of public performance bookings here.
Teachers: The Zoological Society offers several school programs that complement Kohl's Wild Theater show themes.