Part-Time Stage Manager
Join the Zoological Society of Milwaukee’s (ZSM) award winning professional theater program. Kohl’s Wild Theater (KWT) is a live, interactive, participatory theater--directed primarily to children--that uses drama, puppetry, humor and songs to help inspire children to 1) care more about our natural world, 2) learn ways to help animals here and around the world, and 3) take action to make a difference.
The Part-Time Stage Manager (SM) will lead teams of actors for daily performances at the Milwaukee County Zoo and on tour as part of the Kohl’s Wild Theater outreach program. This position reports to the full-time KWT Production Stage Manager.
- Managing the daily performance schedule.
- Primary representative of KWT and the ZSM to performance venues.
- Organize and maintain all technical equipment used during a performance.
- Liaison from the KWT professional actors to KWT management.
- Primary driver of company vehicle to performance venues.
- Operate sound equipment during performances.
Two years of professional training in stage management, technical theater, arts management, or related field is required. Undergraduate degree in stage management preferred. 1-2 years of professional stage management experience a plus.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal communication with venue representatives and co-workers.
- Leadership qualities to effectively manage a team.
- Familiarity with Q-Lab software (both audio and video) is a plus.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance. Lifting responsibilities include setting up technical equipment for performances such as set pieces and a sound system.
- Experience working in multiple areas of technical theater, including carpentry, costumes and sound board operation.
- Availability to work 2-5 days per week with irregular shift times, including weekends.
- Must have your own vehicle, valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- International applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without Zoological Society sponsorship.
Start date: Late April, 2017. Start date is negotiable.
Hours: Approximately 18-24 hours per week after training and rehearsals. Most shifts are 4-5 hours long and occur between the hours of 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM. Shifts occur on both weekdays and weekends. Some shifts will be scheduled for evening hours. Work schedules are determined at least four weeks in advance. The stage management team can work around reasonable conflicts provided with four weeks’ notice.
- Email cover letter and resume to Reva Fox, KWT Production Stage Manager at email@example.com. In the subject line write “KWT SM Position” by February 17th, 2017.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews to be held from March 6th-10th, 2017.
Kohl’s Wild Theater is pleased to be attending the Milwaukee General Auditions on Monday, January 30th, 2017. We are excited to see all the talent that Milwaukee has to offer. More information about the Milwaukee Generals can be found here.
If you are interested in joining Kohl’s Wild Theater for the Summer 2017 season, but are unable to attend the Milwaukee General Auditions, please submit a headshot and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writers and Composers
Kohl’s Wild Theater occasionally commissions playwrights and composers to develop new plays or musicals about specific conservation topics under a “for hire” contract. To be considered for a future contract, writers or composers may send their resume and two writing/music samples to Dave McLellan at email@example.com. Writing samples should be under 10 pages and should be from a play or musical for young audiences.
Kohl’s Wild Theater occasionally contracts costume, set/props, sound and puppet designers to design new plays and musicals. Interested designers may send their resume to Dave McLellan at firstname.lastname@example.org.