Early History of the Zoological Society
Special thanks to the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for contributing many of the unknown photographer images.
Since the 1940s, the Zoological Society had been pushing to move the Zoo to larger quarters. In the 1950s, the Society started planning in earnest. In February 1954, Zoo Director Speidel (right) reviewed a model of the planned new Zoo with Otto R. Kuehn (left), chairman of the Zoological Society’s New Zoo Committee; Walter Bender, president of the County Park Commission; and Commission secretary Jerome C. Dretzka (next to Speidel). Photographer unknown