Early History of the Zoological Society
Special thanks to the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for contributing many of the unknown photographer images.
This early photo shows the crowds that came to the Zoo in the first decade or so of its existence. On September 20, 1900, West Park was changed to Washington Park, and the zoo became the Washington Park Zoo. In 1920, the Zoo had grown to be the fifth largest in the United States, exhibiting over 700 animals and drawing an estimated 600,000-plus visitors annually. Milwaukee parks at the time were under the jurisdiction of the City of Milwaukee Board of Park Commissioners. In 2010 the Zoo is under the jurisdiction of the Milwaukee County Board.
Photo: Jos. Brown