- Who can enter: Contest is open to children ages 17 and under (must still be 17 as of Aug. 29, 2015).
- Deadline: Entry forms must be received by Aug. 15, 2015. Artwork cannot be delivered until Aug. 22 (see below). Contest is reserved for the first 30 registrants.
- What to use: Artwork must be made up of at least 90 percent recycled material. These would be items that would otherwise be thrown away or recycled after use. Items include: metal cans, plastic bottles and containers, paper, cardboard, etc.
- What to use: All materials used in artwork must be clean and safe – no rough edges and it must be sturdy. The Zoological Society of Milwaukee is not responsible for any damage to artwork.
- What to use: Fasteners (such as glue and tape), crayons and nontoxic markers and paint.
- Theme: “African Safari.” Artwork should depict animals found in Africa.
- How big? Artwork must fit in a 2-foot-square section of a table.
- How big? Artwork must be light enough to be carried by one person.
- What else? All artwork must be the sole and original work of the participator. Parents/guardians may provide minimal help.
- How many entries? One art project per member may be submitted.
- Power Supply? Electrical outlets will not be available for display.
- What the judges look for: Originality, use of recycled materials, presentation and conservation message.
- Prizes: All participants will receive a participation prize.
- Prizes: Contest entries will be divided by age, and a winner will be chosen from each age category. An overall contest winner also will be chosen. Winners will receive prizes such as animal sponsorships and plush-toy animals.
- What to do: Drop off artwork at the Zoological Society office at the Milwaukee County Zoo starting at 9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015, and no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 28. Special arrangements must be made ahead of time by calling Becky at 414-258-2333.
- Artwork will be displayed at the Milwaukee County Zoo on Saturday, Aug. 29, during the Zoological Society’s Animal Safari.
- Judging will take place on Aug. 29. Winners will be announced that day in the Peck Welcome Center. Participants do not need to be present to win.
- Artwork must remain on display at the Zoo until 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 29. After that time you can pick up projects at the display table or in the Zoological Society office after 2 p.m.
- Artwork must be picked up by Sunday, Sept. 6, 2015, unless other arrangements are made. After Sept. 6, any artwork left behind will be recycled.
Return to contest main page.
Return to online entry form.