Director of Development & Stewardship Job Opening
Start Date: As soon as possible
Employment Term: Regular
Employment Type: Full Time
Starting Salary Range: Based on experience
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree preferred or equivalent experience
Required Experience: 7 to 10 years
Required Security Clearance: None
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee is searching for a Director of Development & Stewardship to join a talented team of seasoned professionals supporting one of the most cherished community assets, the Milwaukee County Zoo. Under the general direction of the Society’s VP of Development, this individual will be responsible for the administration and execution of all stewardship activities for the Development Department, provide oversight for the operations of the Capital Campaign, and manage a portfolio of qualified major gift prospects. This is a full-time position located at the Society’s main office on the grounds of the Milwaukee County Zoo.
This position requires handling a broad range of tasks, including:
- Provide oversight for all campaign operations including campaign communications, pledge activity and donations, volunteer participation and supervision, formulating strategies and tactics and reporting activity to the VP of Development. Facilitate work of volunteers and providing support for campaign assignments.
- Coordinating and managing activities related to campaign events and programs, including (in conjunction with the Development Coordinator) cultivation and recognition events.
- Managing campaign record keeping and stewardship including, but not limited to Letters of Intent, pledge reminders, Naming Opportunities Coordination/Documentation/Fulfillment and Endowed Fund Documentation.
- Create and execute fundraising plans that utilize best practices in major giving including identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major donors and prospects.
- Manage and develop a portfolio of at least 30-50 major gift qualified prospects including high-end individual and corporate Platypus Circle donors.
- Track and evaluate progress towards goals, prepare periodic reports on fundraising activities and the ability to present to the Board and senior staff.
- Supervise the maintenance of the database including production of financial campaign reports, staff assignment reports and tracking of pledges through database management.
- Assist in the implementation of a new Prospect Management tool including but not limited to, helping to implement a Moves Management Program, Prospect Manager and Volunteer Solicitor system, donor clean-up and management.
- Prepare proposals, presentations, information materials, gift agreements and other materials needed to secure gifts.
- Maintain strong and engaged relationships with prospects and donors with well-written communications, personal visits, and other meaningful contacts.
- Work collaboratively in the execution of the goals and objectives of the Development Department.
- Manage budgets effectively to ensure revenue and expense goals are met.
- Assist with prospect research and the compilation of prospect lists.
Bonus Points for:
- Proven track record of Major Gift solicitations
- Prior Capital Campaign experience
- Demonstrated experience working with a board and fundraising committees
- Knowledge of Greater Milwaukee area philanthropic community
- Working knowledge of Tessitura
- Proficiency with PowerPoint & Excel
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions and deployments.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25lbs.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle office equipment.
- Ability to drive.
- Ability to maintain good attendance is a condition of employment and a function of this position.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume including salary requirements (salary commensurate with experience) to:Zoological Society of MilwaukeeHuman Resources10005 W Bluemound Rd
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org