Zoo Pride Membership
Volunteer at the Milwaukee County Zoo
Volunteering at the Zoo means learning and helping other people learn...
having fun and helping other people have fun...
conserving wildlife and helping spread the word on wildlife.
If you want to learn more about the Zoo, its animal collection and zoological conservation, and
If you want to spread the word in our community about how everyone can help the animals, and
If you want to help the Zoological Society in its mission to support the Zoo, educate our community about wildlife and conserve endangered animals,
Then volunteering at the Zoo is for you!
Meet some of our volunteers, from teens to retirees, and read their stories.
Help us teach the importance of wildlife and the environment by volunteering to ...
- lead visitors on tours of our Zoo,
- educate children and adults through our hands-on workshops,
- help persons with disabilities experience the Zoo,
- speak with civic organizations about the Zoo and Zoological Society, or
- encourage Zoo visitors to learn more about animals by touching animal artifacts.
Help us help you learn about the Zoo's animals and their keepers by volunteering to...
- observe and note animal behaviors under Zoo staff supervision,
- work with zookeepers to teach Zoo visitors about camels, pachyderms, and great apes, or
- help inform Zoo visitors about the Zoo's birds of prey.
Help us help kids learn and have fun at the Zoo by volunteering to...
- prepare animal art materials for children's activities and special events
- guide children through our early childhood workshops and summer camp programs.
Help us meet the needs of Zoo visitors and Zoological Society members by volunteering to...
- assist Zoo and Zoological Society staff in hosting popular events like Egg Day, Halloween Trick-or-Treat Spooktacular, Zoo Ball and Breakfast & Lunch with Santa.
- staff indoor and outdoor information booths and the Kids 'n Critters Clubhouse in the park, or
- help the Zoological Society implement its membership and animal sponsorship programs and events.
Help us tell others that the Zoo is a fun and educational place by volunteering to...
- bake delicious treats for the annual bake sale and holiday cookie sale or make craft items for the holiday craft sale,
- dress up as your favorite animal or costumed character for special events at the Zoo, like Breakfast & Lunch with Santa, Halloween Spooktacular, Egg Day, or
- write articles for Zoo Pride's monthly newsletter, ZOOming In.
The bottom line is that we need you---whether you're young or young at heart...free on weekdays or weekends.
If you're ready to volunteer at the Zoo, we're ready to welcome you. Just give us your interest and energy, and we'll give you the training.
To volunteer you'll need to become a member of the Zoological Society, sign up for your membership in Zoo Pride, and complete a volunteer application and a background check and interest interview with our Volunteer Services staff person. Zoo Pride volunteers pay dues to Zoo Pride to help defray the costs of educational materials and the monthly newsletters. Junior members (ages 15-17 ) pay $5 annually. Annual dues for individual members are $10 and, for a family, $12.50. Zoo Pride memberships run for 12 months from whenever you join.
You also will be required to attend training prior to volunteering. Additional training including specific animal information may be required depending on the types of volunteer opportunities you choose. (We do not handle any of the animals at the Zoo for safety reasons.)
In return, you'll receive a subscription to ZOOming In, a monthly newsletter for volunteers, and invitations to educational lectures and volunteer recognition events. Volunteers who donate 125 or more hours in our fiscal year also receive their membership in the Zoological Society for the next year, compliments of the Zoological Society.
Call Zoo Pride with any questions at (414) 258-5667 or E-Mail us at ZooPride@zoosociety.org.