Part-Time Stage Manager
Join the Zoological Society of Milwaukee’s (ZSM) award winning professional theater program. Kohl’s Wild Theater (KWT) is a live, interactive, participatory theater--directed primarily to children--that uses drama, puppetry, humor and songs to help inspire children to 1) care more about our natural world, 2) learn ways to help animals here and around the world, and 3) take action to make a difference.
The Part-Time Stage Manager (SM) will lead teams of actors for daily performances at the Milwaukee County Zoo and on tour as part of the Kohl’s Wild Theater outreach program. This position reports to the full-time KWT Theater Production Supervisor.
- Managing the daily performance schedule.
- Primary representative of KWT and the ZSM to performance venues.
- Organize and maintain all technical equipment used during a performance.
- Communicate with KWT management about any need for technical repairs.
- Participate in maintenance and fixing of technical equipment.
- Liaison from the KWT professional actors to KWT management.
- Primary driver of company vehicle to performance venues.
- Operate sound equipment during performances.
Two years of professional training in stage management, technical theater, arts management, or related field is required. Undergraduate degree in stage management preferred. 1-2 years of professional stage management experience a plus.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal communication with venue representatives and co-workers.
- Leadership qualities to effectively manage a team.
- Familiarity with Q-Lab software (both audio and video) is a plus.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. without assistance. Lifting responsibilities include setting up technical equipment for performances such as set pieces and a sound system.
- Experience working in multiple areas of technical theater, including carpentry, costumes and sound board operation.
- Availability to work 2-5 days per week with irregular shift times, including weekends.
- Must have your own vehicle, valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- International applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without Zoological Society sponsorship.
Start date: Mid-May, 2019. Start date is negotiable.
Hours: Approximately 15-25 hours per week after training and rehearsals. Most shifts are 4-5 hours long and occur between the hours of 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM. Shifts occur on both weekdays and weekends. Some shifts will be scheduled for evening hours. Work schedules are determined at least four weeks in advance. The stage management team can work around reasonable conflicts provided with six weeks’ notice.
- Email cover letter and resume to Reva Fox, KWT Theater Production Supervisor at email@example.com. In the subject line write “KWT SM Position” by March 19, 2019.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews to be held in April, 2019.
Kohl’s Wild Theater (KWT) is seeking experienced professional actors to join the KWT acting company. Auditions will be held on Tuesday, March 12th and Tuesday, March 19th. Actors in the KWT Company perform multiple roles in a variety of plays and musicals for young audiences. Experience with musical theater, puppetry, and comedy improv is a plus. For the audition, please prepare one contemporary musical theatre songs (16-32 bar cut) as well as a contemporary one-minute monologues. Additional material will be supplied upon inquiry. An accompanist will be provided.
Actors will be considered for the spring/summer season with rehearsals beginning on Tuesday, April 23rd. Different actors will be selected for different start dates based on availability and casting needs.
Auditions will be by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, actors should send their headshot and resume to KWT Manager of Artistic Direction, Zach Woods, at firstname.lastname@example.org and write “audition” in the subject line.
Kohl’s Wild Theater is a professional theater for young audiences that is a part of the education department of the Zoological Society of Milwaukee. Using drama, puppetry, and music, KWT teaches lessons on environmental conservation and the importance of caring for animals. KWT performs seven days per week during the summer months at the Milwaukee County Zoo and other venues in the community. During the school year, KWT tours to schools and other community organizations within a one-hour radius of the Zoo.
If cast, actors must have most daytimes available for rehearsals and performances. During the school year, most performance shifts occur on the weekdays between 6:30 AM and 4:30 PM. During the summer months, performances occur on weekdays and weekends. Once hired, actors join our part-time staff of professional actors that learn multiple shows and roles in a repertory format. Company members typically work 15-25 hours per week. Rehearsal and performance schedules are typically released four weeks in advance. Starting pay is $12 per hour. Additional benefits include flexible scheduling and professional development workshops.
Writers and Composers
Kohl’s Wild Theater commissions playwrights and composers to develop new plays or musicals about specific conservation topics under a “for hire” contract. To be considered for a future contract, writers or composers may send their resume and two writing/music samples to Reva Fox, theater production supervisor, at email@example.com. Writing samples should be under 10 pages and should be from a play or musical for young audiences.
Kohl’s Wild Theater contracts costume, set/props, sound and puppet designers to design new plays and musicals. Interested designers may send their resume to Reva Fox, theater production supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.