Through the Zoological Society’s Trim-a-Tree Project, more than 60 trees, donated by Hawks Landscape, are decorated by local youth groups. Groups are assigned to a category and asked to make
Through the Zoological Society’s Trim-a-Tree Project, more than 60 trees, donated by Hawks Landscape, are decorated by local youth groups. Groups are assigned to a category and asked to make 60-70 ornaments based on their assigned category. Groups are then invited on a specific day to trim their assigned tree with their handmade ornaments. These trees will be on display around the Zoo for the month of December.
This year’s theme is “Creature Features”; all categories are based on animals’ unique features.
Theme Categories and Animal Examples:
- Feet: Baboon, Bonobo, Elephant, Frog, Gorilla, Hippo, Monkey, Rhino, Tamarin
- Flippers & Fins: Fish, Penguin, Seal, Sea Lion, Sea Turtle, Shark
- Hooves: Bongo, Camel, Caribou, Elk, Giraffe, Impala, Wildebeest, Zebra
- Horns & Antlers: Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, Caribou, Deer, Impala, Kudu, Moose, Rhino
- Paws & Claws: Bear, Eagle, Jaguar, Leopard, Lion, Otter, Red Panda, Sloth, Tiger
- Scales: Alligator, Armadillo, Fish, Iguana, Pangolin, Snake, Turtle
- Wings: Cardinal, Crane, Crested Screamer, Eagle, Flamingo, Owl, Peacock, Pelican, Toucan
Things to Know:
- Groups are asked to submit their top three theme choices (#1 being your first choice). Trees and/or category selections are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Decorating will occur on one day only, Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2021. Three time slots will be available: 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. OR 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Masks are required while inside buildings.
- Number of children admitted to decorate is limited to 20 max. per tree. If more than 20 children are in your group, please sign up for a 2nd tree (2 trees max. per group).
- All groups are required to make at least 60 imaginative ornaments per tree (the more the merrier).
- Garland, tree toppers and tree skirts are welcome; please no tinsel, as it presents a hazard to wildlife.
- Trees will already have lights on them prior to the decorating.
- Themes will be assigned Monday, Oct. 18, and a confirmation email will be sent to your group leader.
- Once you receive your theme confirmation, you can start making ornaments! Some suggestions are listed above, but you are welcome to make other ornaments that match your assigned theme.
- The Zoological Society will provide recognition for your group on your decorated tree.
- Spots are limited.
- Tree sizes and shapes will vary.
Health Guidelines for this Event
(Tuesday) 1:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Milwaukee County Zoo
10001 W Bluemound Rd