We are currently accepting applications for the following job opportunities:
- High School Assistant Volunteer Opportunities - Summer 2017
- Public Relations Intern
- Communications Coordinator
- Membership Assistant/Guest Services
High School Assistant Volunteer Opportunities - Summer 2017
Are you 15-18 years old and interested in education, biological science or simply volunteering in your community? The Zoological Society’s Conservation Education Department is looking for high school students to volunteer in our 2017 Summer Camps program. Selected students will spend two consecutive weeks assisting with children’s activities, Zoo tours and camp preparation.
This opportunity is open to Zoological Society members as well as non-members. Applications can be downloaded below OR to request an application and receive interview and training information, call Christopher Uitz at 414-258-5058, ext. 428. Application deadline: April 3, 2017.
Click here for requirements and more details about this volunteer opportunity.
High School Assistant Volunteer Application
The above application is in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. It requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded here.
For any questions or additional information, please contact Christopher Uitz at 414-258-5058, ext. 428, or at email@example.com.
Public Relations Intern
Are you a good storyteller who cares about animals and conservation? The Zoological Society of Milwaukee – a private nonprofit supporting the Milwaukee County Zoo – is looking for a student who is creative, motivated and detail-oriented for a paid summer internship in its public relations/publications department. Duties include creating social media posts, taking Web-quality photos and videos, assisting professional photographers, drafting press releases and possibly writing for the Society’s publications, Alive magazine and Wild Things newsletter. Hours would be somewhat flexible with an average of 20 hours per week. Occasional nights and weekends required.
Intern must be enrolled in college or a recent graduate. This would be a good position for a student majoring in communications, public relations, journalism or a similar subject. If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter to Stacy Vogel Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us why you want to work in a zoo setting and what makes you a strong candidate. You are encouraged to submit classroom or professional work such as articles, press releases or social media posts. Application deadline is Feb. 28.
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee is a private nonprofit with a mission to conserve wildlife and endangered species, educate people about the importance of wildlife and the environment, and support the Milwaukee County Zoo.
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee was established in 1910 as an informal group of community leaders who bought animals and raised funds for the Milwaukee County Zoo. Today it is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization with a mission to conserve, educate and support the Milwaukee County Zoo.
This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with colleagues at the Zoological Society and Milwaukee County Zoo to communicate the great work being done by Society and Zoo staff. This is a full-time position reporting to the publications and public relations manager at the Zoological Society of Milwaukee's main office on the grounds of the Milwaukee County Zoo.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Pitching stories to local media to promote the Zoological Society’s programs, events and initiatives.
- Developing talking points for staff, producing several news releases per month and developing public relations strategies for Society programs and events, including a comprehensive public relations calendar.
- Writing feature stories for Society publications and serving as the editor of Wild Things newsletter (published six times a year) under the direction of the public relations and publications manager.
- Editing flyers, invitations, emails, banners, signs, brochures, proposals, reports, posters, children's materials and other projects.
- Planning and publishing social media posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Pinterest.
- Arranging media interviews and occasionally appearing as a Society spokesperson in the media.
- Working some evening and weekend hours, on occasion.
- College degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field required.
- Proven experience in public/media relations.
- Must have strong writing/grammar skills, attention to detail and strong interviewing skills.
- Must be fluent in social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Must have ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and independently on short deadlines.
- Must be able to think creatively, work in a team and generate ideas.
- Must be flexible, willing to do a variety of tasks and willing to work some evenings and weekend days.
- Physical movements required: ability to walk around the Zoo for up to two hours.
- Two to three years of public relations experience.
- Experience arranging media interviews and appearing in on-camera interviews.
- Experience creating media and public relations calendars and tracking media mentions.
- Connections to local media outlets.
- Knowledge of social media analytics.
Compensation & Benefits
The Zoological Society offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three to five writing samples to Stacy Vogel Davis at email@example.com by March 6, 2017.
Membership Assistant/Guest Services
Where: Zoological Society of Milwaukee (Milwaukee County Zoo grounds, 10005 W. Bluemound Rd., Milwaukee, WI 53226
Hours: 15-25 hours per week
Pay Rate: $9.50
Application deadline: March 15, 2017
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- A positive attitude and flexibility in an ever-changing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required, as well as a willingness to learn other software programs.
- Enjoy dealing with people.
- Cash handling and customer service experience is required.
- Ability to work rotating weekends, evening special events, and holidays.
This is a part-time position for a person with strong customer service and clerical skills in our membership office, guest services, and west entrance office (summer hours only). This position will interface with the public and our members both over the phone and in person answering zoo-goer questions and selling a variety of items including our yearly Zoo Pass membership. Candidates must be available to work more hours during late spring and summer.
Questions? Contact Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-258-2333 ext. 207.
To apply, please forward a resume as well as a cover letter or description of why you are interested in this position to email@example.com.