We are currently accepting applications for the following job opportunities:
IT and Database Administrator
Start Date: As soon as possible
Employment Term: Regular
Employment Type: Full Time
Starting Salary Range: Based on experience
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree, preferably in an IT related major or equivalent experience
Required Experience: 5 to 10 years
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee is searching for an IT and Database Administrator to oversee the technology and database needs of the organization. Initially, a key priority will be to help assess and define the evolving IT needs of the organization given the implementation of a new CRM/database system, Tessitura. Under the general direction of the Society’s VP of Finance and Administration, this individual will be responsible for supporting the Tessitura system. Tessitura is a CRM application (Microsoft SQL platform) utilized for membership, fundraising, marketing, report, ticketing, customer relationship management and web transactions. We are currently in the conversion and implementation phase with a projected go-live date of October, 2017. In addition, with the support of a Network and Systems Specialist, this person will help provide desktop, domain and other database support. This is a full-time position located at the Society’s main office on the grounds of the Milwaukee County Zoo.
This position requires handling a broad range of tasks, including:
- Manage application integration of the following Tessitura related products including, but not limited to: T-Stats & Dashboard, Nscan, SSRS, Infomaker, credit card services, WordFly, etc.
- Serve as a primary source of information regarding Tessitura and other database schemas, structures and objects.
- Responsibility for monitoring and maintenance of data integrity for cloud hosted Microsoft SQL Server databases. Enforce and encourage data entry standards and best practices to promote optimal data hygiene.
- Web maintenance and development utilizing PHP programming language and MySQL for public facing websites as well as in-house web applications and legacy CRM system.
- Basic server, network, database and PC troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Control and monitor user access to databases.
- Develop, implement and monitor IT policies, clearly communicating to both staff and management.
- Maintain relationships with the wider Tessitura community and proactively monitor how other Tessitura licensees are using the system as a best practice.
- Maintain security and privacy of the information systems, communication lines and equipment.
- Oversight of other institutional databases including financial, photo and volunteer management.
- Oversee technology vendors.
- Configuration and maintenance of Apache web servers.
- Installation and maintenance of animal web cams utilizing the Wowza Streaming Server.
- Proactively seek opportunities to improve processes, lower costs and improve service to patrons and internal clients through technology implementations.
- Requires a high level of attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills and the experience to prioritize the needs of the organization and the staff.
- 5+ years of related experience
- Working knowledge of Tessitura CRM or other similar CRM systems
- Skills include experience in Windows and client/server SQL databases; immediate proficiencies in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS); proficiency in Microsoft Word/Excel and Access; SQL Query knowledge and relational database system skills.
- Background utilizing PHP, object oriented programming and MySQL/Microsoft SQL databases
- Basic knowledge of ad hoc report writing in Microsoft SQL and MySQL
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Basic knowledge configuring the Apache web server
Bonus Points for:
- Basic network administration and troubleshooting
- Previous supervisory experience
- Managing an Active Directory domain
- Administering Office 365
- Mobile application maintenance and development
- Comfortable with Adobe Photoshop and optimizing graphics for the web
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions and deployments.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25lbs.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle office equipment.
- Ability to drive.
- Ability to maintain good attendance is a condition of employment and a function of this position.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume including salary requirements (salary commensurate with experience) to:Zoological Society of MilwaukeeHuman Resources10005 W Bluemound Rd
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Relations Intern
Are you a good storyteller who cares about animals and conservation? The Zoological Society of Milwaukee – a private nonprofit supporting the Milwaukee County Zoo – is looking for a student who is creative, motivated and detail-oriented for a paid fall internship in its public relations/publications department. Duties include creating social media posts, taking Web-quality photos and videos, assisting professional photographers and possibly writing for the Society’s publications, Alive magazine and Wild Things newsletter. Hours would be somewhat flexible with an average of 15 hours per week. Occasional nights and weekends required.
Intern must be enrolled in college or a recent graduate. This would be a good position for a student majoring in communications, public relations, journalism or a similar subject. If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter to Stacy Vogel Davis at email@example.com. Tell us why you want to work in a zoo setting and what makes you a strong candidate. You may also submit work or class samples such as articles, press releases or social media posts. Application deadline is July 22.
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee is a private nonprofit with a mission to conserve wildlife and endangered species, educate people about the importance of wildlife and the environment, and support the Milwaukee County Zoo.